Monday 20 July 2015

Tea by the sea and a school girl error

We had a huge check-in this weekend, with schools finishing and a gig at the Eden Project we were full to the brim and are bracing ourselves for this weeks massive arrivals.  It is brilliant to see the park full and to meet so many lovely families.  I had to smile to myself as I worked Saturday - it felt like all the departures were caravans and all the arrivals were tents - obviously that was not the case there are still plenty of caravans and motor homes on the park but there are a lot more tents!  We like all our guests whatever you arrive with/in, however one of my favourite things is walking around the park admiring all the tents and gadgets and gizmo's that people bring.  I get big tent envy  (So if you see a strange lady looking at your tent it is probably just me admiring it!).
On Friday the local fisherman from 'Aquila' popped in as he had some spare mackerel.  I LOVE mackerel and asked him once before if he ever has any spare to drop some in, well now every so often we get a little present.  I went home and gutted, boned the prepared the fish, wrapped them in foil, dug some potatoes from the garden and picked some peas (Jess' current favourite to be eaten straight from the pod) and packed the bucket barbecue and beers.  Then after work on Saturday we headed to Porthpean beach for a barbecue tea.  Before we moved to Cornwall I dreamed this is what you do on long hot Cornish evenings...turns out I was right.

Now, do remember that my first job of the day when working reception is to write up the tide times for guests.  As we walked onto Porthpean Beach and headed for a spot where no one else was I casually checked with Rich that the tide was going out.  He reminded me I was the one who have looked at the tide times that very morning.  I had spoken to a lot of people through the course of the day and had forgotten my name let alone the tide times.  So we set up our tent, BBQ, opened a beer and went for a paddle.  Only as I put the aforementioned fish on the barbecue did we truly notice the extent and pace that the tide was coming towards us.  So, we had to quickly move everything across to where everyone else was sitting (and probably laughing at us) and eat quickly before we got washed away.  Morale of the story - check tide times before you do anything that involves the sea!

What a fantastic way to enjoy a Cornish evening though.  Why not make the most of the long, lazy Cornish evenings and visit a beach for tea - a fantastic day way to finish a long day of travelling if you have just arrived.  Our favourites are:

  1. DIY - Barbie on the beach - pick one of the many awesome beaches near by, we went to Porthpean as the car park is right near the beach, grab some fish from the fish stall in Mevagissey or meat from Kittows and check tide times!
  2. Caerhays Beach Cafe - open every night through the summer holidays - one of my favourite and most magical beaches. (one day I hope to own the Castle!!!)
  3. The HubBox - Part of Pentewan Sands Campsite - open to non residents. Walkable from here.
  4. The Ship Inn, Pentewan - walkable, dog and child friendly just take a torch for the walk home if you have a late one!
  5. Fish & Chips on Gorran Beach - Buy a bag of chips and wander down to the beach.  Park at the top of the village to avoid little roads.  I once got so scared of the little roads here I lost my car...long story!
  6. Sams on the Beach , Polkerris- cool, trendy, relaxed, very family friendly, great food and even better cocktails.
  7. Sams on the Bay , St Austell -  as above but on the beach with live music
  8. The Hidden Hut, Porthcurnick Beach - worth the little drive and walk to find, the food is yummy, it is a bit pricey but worth it.
  9. Mevagissey Fish & Chips on the Harbour - get fish and chips and then as you look out to sea

    head to the left, this is the quieter side of the harbour and beautiful.  
  10. The Rising Sun, Portmellon - stunning location, but we would recommend you turn off the SatNat, don't go in via Mevagissey unless you like seriously small roads and lots of reversing, go in via Gorran Churchtown.
LOCAL EVENTS THIS WEEK:
24-26 July - Boconoc Steam Fair
25 July - Start if Charleston Regatta Week
25 July - Perranporth Carnival
25 July - Grampund Local Produce Market.

No comments:

Post a Comment