Saturday 4 July 2015

Herman - officially the best guest of the week..maybe the month

We love all our guests dearly, but some times you can't help smile every time you see some, or even just think about them.  And Herman has that effect on me.  When I saw a group of guests pointing at him I thought it was a bit rude and wondered how I  would defuse this situation, poor Herman cannot help his looks.  Then I realised what Herman was.  A tortoise!  As I am writing this I am smiling to myself.  He is without doubt the loveliest four legged friend we currently have on the park!
We are full this weekend again, the good weather and two rally's have ensured we are full to the brim.  Many of those in are extending their stays longer to make the most of this glorious sunshine.  This week, as with the rest of the country it has been glorious.  We have had the odd shower, but to be honest it is a welcome break from the heat.  The touring park is look lovely at the moment with a fantastic mixture of tents, caravans, motor homes and various other set ups.  I have been wandering around the park this morning look on enviously at those cooking breakfast, eating the fresh strawberries and generally enjoying the sun.

With two tired and teasy little girls on the afternoon of our day off we went for a drive, as we sometimes do to aid sleep.  Now it was a brilliant example of the SAT Nav Vs. Maps Vs Guess Work dilemma people often face in Cornwall.  The first rule of thumb is don't solely follow your SAT NAV.  It will take you on, very, very little roads.  We can normally tell by the colour of people if their SAT NAV has taken them on a little adventure to get to us.    So with this in mind, with our trusty road atlas in hand we set off for an adventure across Bodmin Moor and then through some country roads visiting other campsites along the way for a little bit if market research.   We were fine, until I missed a turn and went on some very skinny roads which were not on our map.  The sort where the hedges are 10ft tall, your wing mirrors touch either side and there is grass growing up the middle.  In fact we ended up in the entrance of a farm and had to do some very tense reversing. According to Richard there is never a problem as if you get too lost in Cornwall you will eventually get to one of the coasts, then just turn around and go in the direction you actually want....as the driver I am not sure my nerves could cope fully with this view.  Moral of the story - use agood map!

With the mixed bag of weather comes the dreaded need to pack tents away wet.  We had that fun after our camping adventure here last weekend. with two tents used we had a lot of wet tents to put away.  I have to say putting up tents and to an extent packing them away is one of my favourite past times.  Randomly, believe it or not, I actually have a degree in Adventure Recreation.  Some 15 years ago when I got my degree I never thought we would be in Cornwall with our own campsite.  But that said those skills learnt over three years on various expeditions, putting up various tents and staying in some awesome places are coming in useful now.  You just can't beat putting up a tent, the smell of it, the noise of rain on it, the anticipation of unzipping your door to see if the sun is out...I love tents.  So if need a hand putting up a tent give me a shout!

A new feature of the blogs for those of you staying over the next few weeks is what is on, so here are a few highlights for the next few days:
Tonight - Carninval and fireworks at Mevagissey
11th July - Truro Carnival
11th July Craft Fair & Children's Fun Day at the Merlin Centre, in aid of MS 
18th July - St Ewe Garden Fete (a lovely old fashioned church fete)
26th Jul - Trewithen Country & Classics Show, in aid of Marie Curie

No comments:

Post a Comment